Review: Clear Smooth BB Stick (Maybelline)

June 29, 2012
Time to review a new product! And I do mean new since it only hit shelves a few weeks ago or so. It's Maybelline's Clear Smooth BB stick.



I was immediately attracted to this product because a) I'm into anything BB related, whether it's creams, powders, or sticks and b) it's from Maybelline, such a famous and well-trusted brand that produces some of my most favorite beauty products.

As you can see, the packaging itself is simple, but cute and compact! Something you can easily slip into your beauty kit if need be.

Now, more info on the product as well as its claims directly from the package:

Clear Smooth BB Stick is a multi-benefit product that combines the benefits of skin care, make-up, and sun block in a stick. It contains salicylic acid that helps clear away pores and imperfections, and mineral clay that helps control shine all day. Dermatologically tested. Recommended for oily or combination skin. Suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin.

8-IN-1 BENEFITS:
  • Controls shine - Mineral clay formula helps keep skin shine-free all day
  • Lasts all day - Powder finish resists sweat and sebum for up to 12 hours
  • Clears - Reduces the appearance of dark spots, redness, fine lines, and wrinkles
  • Refines - Reduces the appearance of pores
  • Conceals - Instantly hides flaws and imperfections
  • Evens - Corrects uneven skin tone
  • Smoothens - Makes skin feel smooth, soft, and supple
  • Protects - SPF 21/PA+++ protects against harmful UVA and UVB rays


The product comes in two shades: 01 Fair and 02 Natural. I got 01 Fair and it matches my skin tone extremely well, whereas 02 Natural is two to three shades too dark for me.



A swatch of the product under artificial light and unblended. It practically disappears into my skin once I blend it in well.

Okay, take note that I have temperamental, combination skin. Generally my t-zone is oily, and the rest of my face, particularly my cheeks and the edges of my nose can get really dry. I also say temperamental because there are days where my t-zone, my forehead especially, actually gets dry also. This is why it's very difficult for me to find products that suit my skin. Anyway, let's see how this fares on me! 

Applying it onto my face (I only washed my face and swiped on cleanser prior), I was disappointed to see that it emphasized my dry spots. Now you may be thinking that well, of course, I mentioned that my cheeks are usually dry naturally. But this product also said it would work for combination skin, right? On my nose where, alternatively, it gets oily, it did better and applied smoother on the top of and along the bridge of my nose since that's where it gets oiliest. But it acted the same way as with on my cheeks when I tried to apply it just around and the edges/end of my nose because it does get dry there like I also said earlier. My forehead, on the other hand, was feeling a bit dry the day I tried this out so it had the same effect as on my cheeks.

However, I did seem to find a solution of sorts in using a liquid BB cream first of your choice (the one I'm using at the moment is TONY MOLY's Secret BB Cream Brighter), and using the stick simply as added coverage. The product still did emphasize my dry areas, but not as much as before using a liquid BB. Either way, I also recommend moisturizing very well just after cleansing, even just your drier areas, if you have a similar skin type to me!

Pros:
  • Packaging is sleek and compact, so it's easy to take with you on the go
  • Offers sun protection with SPF 21 PA+++ so you can probably skip your usual sunscreen
  • If you have very oily skin all over, this product would be best for you since it's also oil-free and mineral clay is its primary ingredient
  • Coverage is medium and will manage to minimize or hide the appearance of blackheads, pores, and small to medium sized acne blemishes. Note: I don't suggest building it up with layers too much to increase the coverage since it will show obviously and may look almost cakey or like you applied way too much face powder
  • May act as an alternative concealer for those very red acne blemishes or acne scars and the like
Cons:
  • Not exactly easy to blend in since it's a non-cream and non-liquid product and will take some good buffing in, spreading, and smoothing out with your fingers
  • If you have normal to dry skin, I would not recommend this product since it will instantly emphasize any dry areas and is really made for dealing with super oily skin. For girls with skin like mine, just remember to moisturize well, use a liquid BB cream (or foundation) first, and apply the product simply for added coverage
  • I noticed that my t-zone regained some of its shine halfway through the day (especially during hot, humid days), so oil-control is so-so at most and you may need to touch up once or twice with oil-blotting paper or powder

Price: PHP249.00, Purchased from: Watsons (Greenbelt 3, Makati)

9 comments:

  1. hi! BB stick is only recommended for oily skin but if you have a dry skin, better use BB cream instead of BB stick.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of buying this but I wasn't sure if it suits my skin type. At least now I have an idea of its pros and cons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eventually came to the realization that this product is probably better suited for those with overall oily skin and not even combination skin like mine with its dry patches here and there. However, I don't feel like throwing or giving this product away just yet so I use it almost like a concealer stick for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing this review. I was looking forward to trying this product when it hits the shelves here but think I will skip it now since I have quite dry skin.


    Sara xx Happy New Follower
    http://beautifulworldoflennynb.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! And I've followed your blog right back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow looks interesting, might buy one. ^^

    followed your blog, I hope u could follow mine. ^^


    xx


    http://poptartselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's another shade 03 - Radiance. You're right about the shine-control bit. It's not as "controlling"

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can buy maybelline bb cream for dry skin. i tried it, quite nice, but the bb stick suits my skin type better. :)

    ReplyDelete