Review: BYS Matte Lipstick in "Celebrity Status"

June 05, 2013
When it comes to what finish I love most in a lipstick, it's matte. When it comes to what shades I love, it's definitely pinks and reds. Dark, almost vampy, reds are my ultimate favorite, and yes, I'll even wear them during the day! So you can imagine how happy I was when I found this particular lipstick from BYS that seemed to perfectly combine both my preferred finish and shade.

BYS, which is an acronym for 'Be Yourself', is an Australian cosmetics brand that arrived in the Philippines earlier this year and so far they've been a big hit.

I've seen bloggers raving about a variety of their products since then, especially their lipsticks which come in a wide range of types from lipstick-lipgloss duos to even color change ones! But BYS' Matte Lipstick and Longwear Lipstick lines are without a doubt two of the most popular.


The one I chose, from their Matte Lipstick line, comes in a sleek, black tube with a semi-matte finish. The cap is clear, allowing you to see just how much product you still have left every time.

However, the lipstick doesn't disappear into the tube completely (until it's nearly used up) so you have to be extra careful whenever you replace the cap!


I asked the SA for their darkest red shade amongst the matte lipsticks and she recommended "Celebrity Status" to me.

The product ingredients and other info are printed on an attached sticker which keeps the tube sealed. I recommend not removing the sticker entirely because it's a nightmare trying to remove the sticky residue after! Cutting a slit through the sticker just below the cap to allow it to be removed and replaced freely is best.



The one thing I've noticed with BYS' lipsticks, at least from their Longwear and Matte lines, is that they're not visually pristine in condition as you'd expect from a brand new product.

There are 'cuts', dents, and obvious lines from the mold that the lipstick was formed in. It doesn't affect the product's performance in the slightest, it's just something that surprises me as even much cheaper and local brands have lipsticks that actually look new.

Lip swatch

The formula surprised me as it's almost creamy and glides on smoothly like an ordinary lipstick and not a matte one. When newly applied, it has more of a satin finish. It becomes slightly more matte after a little while but not completely. As a result, unlike a typical matte lipstick, it also transfers easily.

The color also isn't as dark as it appears on the lipstick itself, especially under bright, natural light like in the picture. It does appear more dark, vampy red indoors though.

After five hours

Forgive the slightly blurry picture, but this is what it looks like after five hours that included drinking and eating.

It had started to fade, especially in the center, but the lipstick does leave a stain on the lips so that even so, it's not very obvious and you don't need to touch up right away.  It also doesn't bleed or feather, so a lip liner isn't necessary, though it will of course help to make it last longer.

My only disappointment with this lipstick is that it's supposed to have a matte finish, but...it doesn't. At least not completely. It does dry after a few minutes, becoming slightly more matte, and that's about it. It still transfers easily after hours of wear too unlike a lot of other matte lipsticks I've tried before.

Don't get me wrong, I do love this lipstick as it's still a great red with good wear time. It just wasn't what I was expecting concerning a number of aspects, if you get what I mean.

WHAT I LIKE:
  • Highly pigmented. You only need 1-2 swipes on both your upper and bottom lip for full color.
  • It stains the lips, making touch-ups both easier and less immediately necessary.
  • Non-drying formula, but it may still cling to dry patches so a lip balm or lip scrub prior is still ideal.
  • Wear time is very good.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
  • It's supposed to have a matte finish, but it comes out more satin instead.
  • Transfers easily.
  • Not as dark in color as I was expecting.
  • You have to be extra careful in removing and replacing the cap each time or risk damaging the lipstick itself.

Price: PHP299.00, Purchased from: SM Makati

58 comments:

  1. I never heard abt this brand before.. Im also not a red lipstick lover, but this red color looks gorgeous! nice post... :)
    btw I followed you too, hope you dont mind to follow back.. xoxo.. ^^

    glorychen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red lipstick! If I could only wear one kind of lipstick, it'd definitely be a nice, dark red.



    And I followed you back! Thank you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a gorgeous shade of red, but I would be too chicken to wear something like this haha. I find it incredibly odd that a new product looked like it was used before, that's certainly not a plus point.. but I am glad to hear that the pigmentation of this product scores very high in your book. It's a shame that it doesn't entirely live up to your expectation, but you pull off the color very well though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh.. Thanks for the review.. I have a things for lipstick.. I've already collected my top most favorite on Wet n Wild Lipsticks :) Dito naman ako ngayon :) Do they have lots of shades? Me naman I go from bare to pink shade.. I only got few red shades I have braces kasi I feel like the red really accent my braces :) though I love red but maybe after the braces :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooh thank you for the review! :D I've heard about this brand a few weeks ago and I've been curious how good BYS is. I'm currently in the US but I'll try to buy a lipstick myself from them. That shade looks good on ya!

    http://tabachui.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lipstick isn't used as the tube was still sealed when I bought it. I guess BYS just isn't very particular about how pristine the product should look! Not all my expectations are met, but it's still a great lipstick nonetheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so vibrant, love it!!

    http://itsjessicachoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they have a good number of shades with almost all their lip product lines. The only ones that have limited shades, from what I can remember, are their color change ones and their new neon lip glosses and lipsticks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Hope you're able to find one you like. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. The color is super beautiful on you!
    Red really suits you (:

    <3 GIG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caity @ Moi Contre La VieTuesday, June 11, 2013

    Wow! I'm amazed how well the color stayed. I would kill it immediately though, I definitely need lipstick that disappears completely into the tube! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color looks great on you! I agree about it's finish, it looks way more satin than matte. Love that its vibrant!!

    #GiG

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love dark reds too. I'm amazed at the staying power of this lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear that! Thank you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a bit of a hassle, I'll admit. Even just pulling the cap off needs extra care. But I won't complain if the lipstick is good! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you're looking for affordable lipsticks with good staying power, definitely try out BYS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woww.. you're right! This color is highly pigmented. What beautiful color!

    Cheers,
    Dreamy
    Princess

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does have such a great red hue! Lovely on you Ari! :)

    Been busy lately with my work lah~ Sorry I just visited again now.
    Missed reading your posts dear! (^_^)

    Anyway, hope you can join / support my ongoing giveaway from a new sponsor.
    Would really appreciate your support and participation! (^_^)

    Keep in touch dear!

    ★♡ New Fashion Post (^_^) ♡★
    Project Dress Code: Feature #1 Camille Co


    ★♡ Ongoing Giveaway (^_^) ♡★
    Favordeal Accessories Giveaway
    5 Winners! June 5-20, 2013! Join now!!!

    ❤ ~Chai
    http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ChaiChenPage
    | Bloglovin' | NetworkedBlogs | Google+ |

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm, yeah, I agree on it looking more satin than matte but it looks gorge on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this finish! Its not glossy or completely matte. I like it when lip products stain the lips because it usually lasts much longer than regular lipstick. Love the color!


    www.mishialamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the finish! It looks good on you too! Sexy lips <3 I have one from BYS dusty rose and I love it. I'll try their Matte ones soon :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That jacked up tube is weird. But you chose a good color :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Chai! Glad to see you back again. And I'll definitely check them out! XO

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tend to reach for lipsticks which are either satin or matte. They generally have a long wear time and I don't like having to touch up a lot! And yeah, lipsticks that stain are always a great bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks! I saw the "Dusty Rose" lipgloss/lipstick duo and I like the shade, I think I'll be getting that some day. So far I only have "Chilli Red" from BYS' lip duos. XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. You always have to remind yourself to be careful, haha. And yeah, I think so too! XO

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great color definitely. Been looking for a good matte lipstick and found a few brands I'm trying now :) xx Looks gorg on you hun! Donah

    ReplyDelete
  28. this colour is so beautiful, i love reds as well, they are such a great lipstick shade and if they are matte that’s just super chic ^_^ I love this one, is not completely matte, is has a nice glossy touch :) great post and swatches, didn’t know this brand
    big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that is such a vivid color!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely lipstick!! Somehow I never knew that BYS stood for 'Be Yourself'

    ReplyDelete
  31. yeah.. it doesn't look quite matte.. love the color though.. n that its stays on for so long.. wish it was available in my country .. you have a lovely pout :)
    <3 #GIG
    www.pearlypoppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes, it doesn't look matte at all. Lovely color at okay price! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the color, it looks good on you. Yes, it's that matte but I think I should give this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. How's the CHili red??? You'll love the Dusty rose! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous color! I've never tried this brand before.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've never tried this brand, but maybe I'll give it a shot. Not too pricey. Though I agree that I like it more matte. Thanks for visiting my blog and I followed you back. :) See you around, pretty girl! :)



    www.neurochiq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the color and it looks great
    xo,
    Dee http://HauteFrugalista.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's quite similar to this lipstick in shade, actually. But with the lipstick/lipgloss duos, I tend to wear them separately since I don't like how the gloss decreases the staying power of the lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks, dear! Matte reds are always going to be a classic and are so elegant. I can't live without them! XO

    ReplyDelete
  40. I didn't know what it stood for either until I did some research online. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. First time someone complimented me on that, haha. Thank you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  42. The price definitely isn't bad, especially for a long-lasting and pigmented product. XO

    ReplyDelete
  43. You definitely should, Cheryl! Let me know how you like it. XO

    ReplyDelete
  44. I tried another lipstick prior to this one from their Longwear line and I loved it so much that I decided to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Definitely! No complaints concerning the price because of its quality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. If you get the chance, I recommend you do. They have a lot of great products, not just lipsticks and the like! XO

    ReplyDelete
  47. Glad that you liked the review! XO

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hope to see your review soon when you try out something from BYS. Thank you also for following back! XO

    ReplyDelete
  49. have never heard of that brand before! but it looks like a great product!! great color and long lasting!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I will have this one super soon. I'd be Taylor Swift with this shade ;p

    GIG
    http://julisapratiwi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. ooo I love that colour. And I must say, it's looking oh-so-gorgeous on you! Great review! xoxo :)

    www.stilettosandtequila.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh yes, thanks to Taylor Swift a lot more younger women are wanting to try the red lip now too! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. As far as I know it's been around for a while, but it's still quite new here in the Philippines. :)

    ReplyDelete