Review: Lancôme Hypnôse Star mascara and L'Absolu Rouge lipstick (190 Rouge Eternel) + my birthday!

April 23, 2013
Yes, it's official, I turned 25 yesterday. I had a great day, made extra special by all the sweet birthday greetings I've gotten. I received a small haul of presents too, all beauty products to boot, and I'm planning to do a full review on each one of them since they're all so lovely! In fact, here's the first one already...


One of my most favorite presents is definitely from a good family friend who gave me both the Hypnôse Star mascara and a L'Absolu Rouge lipstick from Lancôme!

The mascara was actually introduced last year with the classic Betty Boop character who became popular around the time the Lancôme brand started in the 1930's (you can read about it here), that's why it came with a super cute Betty Boop pouch which is currently my new makeup pouch already!


Just click below to find out my thoughts and the full review about both!



The mascara comes in one shade, which is "01 - Noir Midnight" and promises to give "intense volume" and "curled lashes", the latter I suppose means helping to hold the curl of your lashes.

From the Lancôme USA website:
Get your star lash look with the new dual-sided brush. Lashes are enhanced with a liner effect, looking thick at the lashline, long and luscious through the tips.
I prefer volume over length when it comes to my lashes, and this claims to do both already. It's also waterproof, which is a must for me when it comes to mascara. But now I'm curious about its additional claim to hold for 24 hours!




I don't know how anyone can not find the tube of this mascara absolutely gorgeous. It's certainly the prettiest one I now own! The cluster of glitter at the end is eye-catching and I love the color combination of purple and black.


The mascara wand itself seems fairly ordinary at first, but it's actually a dual-sided brush which is also slightly tapered. Make sure to wipe off the excess from the tip and it's great for reaching the smaller, inner and outer lashes.

Without mascara (natural lashes)
After curling and applying two coats of the Hypnôse Star mascara on both upper and lower lashes

Sorry if my camera isn't the best at capturing the effects, but as you can see, it added some obvious volume and appeared to lengthen both my upper and lower lashes. I like how this mascara doesn't clump easily too. I could have easily applied a third or even fourth coat.



More pics to show how it lengthens. It doesn't give me spider lashes either, which is a plus. As for water-proof, it most definitely is! I tried washing my face without removing my mascara first and none of it ran/flaked off and gave me panda eyes. It didn't budge! As for how well it holds a curl, this is where it flops because by the end of the day it (the curl) was almost gone. So yes, the mascara will most likely stay put for 24 hours, but don't except your lashes to keep their va-va-voom curl for too long!


The L'Absolu Rouge lipstick line is a classic from Lancôme and boasts a number of benefits aside from its wide range of luxurious shades.

From the Lancôme (USA) website:
Infused with moisture-boosting Pro-Xylane™, lips stay moist, soft and comfortable for up to 8 hours. Antioxidant-rich Vitamin E and SPF 12 help keep lips safe from environmental aggressors, so they’ll look and feel healthier day after day. The stay true color won’t feather, flake or fade, so your pout will always look picture-perfect.
Moisturizing? Vitamin E-infused? Added SPF? I don't think anyone can say no to that, especially for someone like me with my dry lips who also lives in a hot, tropical climate.



Sleek and sophisticated looking, Lancôme never disappoints with packaging. And the best thing about this lipstick tube is that it's magnetic. Yes, magnetic! When you close it again, it practically snaps back together thanks to the magnet at the base of the lipstick and the cover.


The shade I received is in "190 - Rouge Eternel". I did some research and can't seem to find the shade anymore, on both the US and UK Lancôme website for example, and presume it's been discontinued already. But since this lipstick was made in Japan, as labeled, it may be still available there.



190 is a gorgeous, bright almost fire engine red and a particular shade of red that should suit most skin tones out there.

Swatched under natural light
Swatched under artificial light
On my lips (used with Nichido lip pencil in "LP03 Blaze")

I love the shade of this lippie! It's definitely a nice, bright red that you can wear for both day or night. It goes on really smoothly, and even though I always smear on some lip balm prior to applying any lipstick, I find the formula really creamy and hydrating.

The only 'con' I'd have to point out is that application was tricky for me at first since I'm used to lipsticks with a more pointed or tapered end. Since I have a very defined lip shape, I always need to be precise in my application or it looks like a mess. Tapered lipsticks help me best with that and I usually don't need a lip brush. For this lippie, I most definitely do!

Lasting power is great. It pulled through a snack of a cream cheese sandwich (that involved me licking my lips a lot too to get rid of the filling from them) and banana smoothie (no straw to really test it out) with minimal fading. You'll only need minimal touch ups throughout the day for this one.

Lancôme Hypnôse Star mascara
Pros:
  • Waterproof, as well as smudge proof. Even after rubbing my eyes accidentally, none of the mascara transferred to my fingers or anywhere else.
  • Lengthens lashes
  • Lasts the whole day
  • Doesn't clump easily
Cons:
  • Doesn't provide a lot of volume

L'Absolu Rouge lipstick (190 Rouge Eternel)
Pros:
  • Moisturizing
  • Added SPF
  • Creamy, easy to apply formula
  • A wide range of other shades available
  • Great lasting power
Cons:
  • Lipstick doesn't have a tapered end (personal downside, don't be discouraged by this)
  • Shade may be discontinued

Since this was a gift, I don't know how much these products retail for, but since it's Lancôme I don't expect them to come cheap! According to the USA website, the L'Absolu Rouge lipstick is priced at $30 (around PHP1,200+) and the Hypnôse Star mascara at $28 (around PHP1,100+).

If any Philippine-based readers/subscribers really want to know the actual price, just comment and tell me and I'll do my best to check it out for you!

36 comments:

  1. Great choice of lip color. I like the mascara, the fact that it has a vitamin E and moisturized is already a great package :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice of lip color. I like the mascara., the fact that it already a vitamin E and also moisturized is already a great package ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not give great volume, but yeah, I also like how it benefits your lashes at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy -day just a little bit late! I have the regular Hypnose star and I love it! I use it every day. The lipstick looks great on you!

    Kisses
    <3 Val
    www.beautyval13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    I think this mascara is good for everyday use also. A separate one can always be bought for those times when you want your lashes looking extra glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting that lipstick for a while! Thanks for this review! :D

    Found you on GIG bloggers!

    Melania

    Let me know what YOU think by leaving a comment! Thank you!
    http://fashionoodles.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/i-say-no-to-leggings-as-pants/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome! Glad the review helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bold colors are perfect for the lips. Happy belated birthday :) xoxo KJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow wow, loving the products! Oh, I like the colour of that lipstick a lot! I have Rogue Buzz from Bourjois and I really like even though I'm more of a lipgloss girl hehe. It suits you a lot hun. :-) x Donah #GiG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think so too! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we had Bourjois here. I've been wanting to try their products for a long time now! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! Lovely color! Im into vibrant colors recently hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovin the Mascara... Would love to try the lancome... Amazing post dear! Found you on GiG. Here's mine http://beprettybynizy.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/my-2013-spring-outfit/, http://beprettybynizy.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/she-breaks-out-of-her-shell/

    xoxo,

    Nizy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice red! Their lipsticks have beautiful packaging x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's one thing you can count on when it comes to most to most high-end products!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woow!!! I have read so many raved reviews about Lancome Hypnose mascara. So want to give it a try <3 GIG Love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing review!! ;)
    http://anna-and-klaudia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its nice that it doesn't give spidey effect which most mascara does :\

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ngayon ko lng narealize na filipina ka, you look american. :) I wanted to try lancome, I've tried one before when I wasnt that keen pa sa makeup.. But now I wanted it bec of M.phan :D #gig

    ReplyDelete
  20. True! Even my old Maybelline mascara used to give me spider lashes really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wouldn't repurchase this mascara, I think, but I'd still recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, yes, I'm Filipina!


    I love Lancome. But when it comes to purchasing from them regularly, I might wait until I have my own job and everything, haha. And yeah, I thought of Michelle Phan too when I got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy belated birthday! That color is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday! That lippie is stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yey! Great presents dear! Belated happy birthday! :) Woot!
    Love your Betty Boop pouch too hehe.
    Hope you can visit me again dear! Happy weekend!
    Enjoy life and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you! And of course, I love your blog so I visit often :) Happy weekend to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great review!! love that lipstick!

    Style Without Limits
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love the color of the lipstick! i have tried the lancome mascara and personally don't like it..not worth the almost 30$. milani, covergirl are my go to drugstore ones, they do a great job

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy belated birthday love. I'm sorry for being so late. These are perfect reviews. Since I have small eyes and wear glasses, I prefer using mascara which volumizes my eyelashes! Although I have never tried this brand, I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. Moreover, I love the color of your lipstick! I love bright red. xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you!


    I don't have small eyes, but do wear glasses often too, so I definitely need them to stand out behind the lenses. And yes, bold lipsticks, especially red variants, are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wouldn't repurchase this mascara once I run out, but it was still great to receive and I'm planning to use it up, of course.


    Will have to try one of Covergirl's mascaras soon! Which one do you recommend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Both products from Lancome are gorgeous! I especially love how the mascara looked on your lashes. :) The color of the lipstick is very sexy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. serendipity0017Saturday, May 04, 2013

    Oooh! That is one cutesy Betty Boop pouch sis :-) The mascara tube is absolutely gorgeous! i love that it doesn't give the panda eyes effect. The Lippie shade in 190 -Rouge Eternel looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete